A Repository of Historical Texts
Author: Bob Blair.
Last updated: September 23, 2015 (version 1.15).
This page is an index to some texts hosted at fooguru.org. The texts here have several characteristics in common:
- They deal mainly with Great Britain and Ireland in the 17th Century.
- They are marked up in W3C-compliant HTML.
- They are not elsewhere available in a proofed, formatted and referenceable format.
The texts currently available are
- The Memoirs of Gregorio Panzani, an account of the Papal representative to the court of Charles I in 1634, 1635, and 1636, with a review of the condition of Roman Catholics in England before and after.
- The History of the Troubles and
Memorable Transactions in Scotland, from the years 1624 to 1645, a chronological narrative of the social and political events of the time from the perspective of John Spalding, an Aberdeen civil servant.
- A Relation of Proceedings Concerning the Affairs of the Kirk of Scotland, from August 1637 to July 1638 by John Leslie, Earl of Rothes. This is an account of one of the most important passages
of British history, written by one of the principal actors.
- History of My Own Times by Gilbert Burnet. Burnet, the brawny Bishop of Salisbury, is a usually entertaining, if not always an accurate historian. Read this as much for the notes as for the text.
- History of England, Principally in the 17th Century, by Leopold von Ranke. If you read only one history of Stuart England this year, choose this one.
- An index of web resources useful when reading about the 17th century.
- In the time of Sir John Eliot—Three Studies in English History of the Seventeenth Century, by Mary Breese Fuller.
- The notes of Croke's judgment in the Hambden case. This is a short monograph edited by Samuel R. Gardiner.
- Documents Illustrating the Impeachment of the Duke of Buckingham in 1626. Samuel R. Gardiner's collection of papers pertaining to six of the counts against Buckingham is intersting on many levels. It was extremely difficult to proof, so corrections are even more welcome than ever.
Notes on the Diplomatic Relations of England and France, 1603-1668. This document contains lists of the English
ambassadors and agents to France, and those of France to England.
Poems and Songs
Duke of Buckingham,
Assassination by John Felton,
edited, with an Introduction and notes,
Frederick W. Fairholt, F.S.A.
The Expedition to the Isle of Rhé by Edward Lord Herbert of Cherbury.
Songs of the Vine, an anthology of drinking songs edited by William G. Hutchison.
A Tankard of Ale, an anthology of drinking songs edited by Theodore Maynard.
The Earl of Bristol's Defence of his Negotiations in Spain.
Byron's Don Juan, with annotations. This edition was originally on my geocities site.
index to the Harleian Miscellany
of Arthur Newton's
Colonising Activities of the English Puritans.
- Thomas Carlyle's
History of the French Revolution,
with marginal notes and commentary.
A live index of Samuel R.
Gardiner's History of England from the Accession of James I to the
Outbreak of the Civil War.
Gilbert Burnet's 1678 pamphlet on the
St Bartholomew's Day Massacre,
August 24, 1572.
Web production of Reynolds's 1894 edition of
John Selden's Table-talk
with additional notes.
John Glanville's Journal of the
Voyage to Cadiz
Poems (1917). This was formerly on my Geocities page.
A live Table of Contents of
James Anthony Froude's 12-volume History of England from the Fall of
Wolsey to the Death of Elizabeth.
Several additional texts are in edit. They will be indexed here when complete.
This site also hosts a set of notes taken at
Killeen City Council meetings.
Comments and corrections, especially corrections to the transcriptions, are very welcome. Contact email@example.com